I don’t know about you but I adore summer and it looks like this heat is here to stay for a little while. One thing I don’t like though is the sleepless nights with sticky babies and the worry about keeping them cool through the day when all they want to do is play outside.
Heres my top 10 quick and easy ways to help keep your little ones nice and cool day or night.
1) Keep their curtains or blinds drawn through the day to block direct sunlight out of the room.
2) Open windows to circulate the air, if there’s no breeze use a fan to create some air movement.
3) Try chilling their favourite teddy or comfort blanket in the freezer before bed so they have something nice and cool to snuggle up with.
4) Create a homemade air con unit by popping a frozen bottle of water or bowl of ice in front of your fan. Sounds peculiar I know but it really works!
5) If you don’t have a padding pool bowls or pans of water are just as much fun to splash in and perfect for cooling down.
6) Keeping them hydrated can seem like a never ending battle at times, if your Little is reluctant to drink water try ice pops or freezing yoghurt for a tasty and hydrating treat. Frozen breast milk also makes for a yummy lolly :)
For under 6 month olds, extra feeds for baby maybe draining on you, but important for them - Make sure you are drinking too!!
7) a cool bath before bed can help bring down their temperature helping them sleep easier at night.
8) Make sure you dress them for bed in the right amount of layers, sleeping bags are great as they come in a variety of togs and won’t fall off in the night as the temperature dips a little.
9) Although it seems a shame to keep them in the shade babies burn easily even with suncream on so avoid the sun between 11-3 wherever possible.
10) Don’t be tempted to use a blanket or Muslin to make a shade over their buggy or pram. It might seem like a good idea but the temperature can rise quickly under it with no air circulating and become dangerously hot. Instead invest in a good quality buggy umbrella or snooze shade.
I’d love to hear of anything that you guys do to help keep your babies cool in the heat so feel free to leave a comment with any tips you have to share.
Hope you enjoy the summer,
See what I have been up to recently!