Sunny days and sticky nights!
I don’t know about you but I adore summer and it looks like this heat is here to stay for a little while. One thing I don’t like though is the sleepless nights with sticky babies and the worry about keeping them cool through the day when all they want to do is play outside.
Heres my top 10 quick and easy ways to help keep your little ones nice and cool day or night.
1) Keep their curtains or blinds drawn through the day to block direct sunlight out of the room.
2) Open windows to circulate the air, if there’s no breeze use a fan to create some air movement.
3) Try chilling their favourite teddy or comfort blanket in the freezer before bed so they have something nice and cool to snuggle up with.
4) Create a homemade air con unit by popping a frozen bottle of water or bowl of ice in front of your fan. Sounds peculiar I know but it really works!
5) If you don’t have a padding pool bowls or pans of water are just as much fun to splash in and perfect for cooling down.
6) Keeping them hydrated can seem like a never ending battle at times, if your Little is reluctant to drink water try ice pops or freezing yoghurt for a tasty and hydrating treat. Frozen breast milk also makes for a yummy lolly :)
For under 6 month olds, extra feeds for baby maybe draining on you, but important for them - Make sure you are drinking too!!
7) a cool bath before bed can help bring down their temperature helping them sleep easier at night.
8) Make sure you dress them for bed in the right amount of layers, sleeping bags are great as they come in a variety of togs and won’t fall off in the night as the temperature dips a little.
9) Although it seems a shame to keep them in the shade babies burn easily even with suncream on so avoid the sun between 11-3 wherever possible.
10) Don’t be tempted to use a blanket or Muslin to make a shade over their buggy or pram. It might seem like a good idea but the temperature can rise quickly under it with no air circulating and become dangerously hot. Instead invest in a good quality buggy umbrella or snooze shade.
I’d love to hear of anything that you guys do to help keep your babies cool in the heat so feel free to leave a comment with any tips you have to share.
Hope you enjoy the summer,
I don't tend to enter The Guild of Photograph's competition too often. It is a national level competition every month, I see stunning images there, time runs away with me, shooting and editing for my much loved clients is a priority, however, recently I have been so proud of the work I have been producing, to me there is always something new to try, something to learn and pushing myself to produce the best art work for you to treasure is always at the forefront of my goals.
Last month I remembered to enter....and today I got the results, I am so so very proud to have been awarded my first ever silver award, and SEVEN bronze awards.
This is what The Guild say about the two levels:
A Silver Bar .. Images that are very well crafted (difficult to achieve)
A Bronze Bar .. Images of a strong standard at a national competition level (something to be proud of).
It means so much to me to be able to create memories for people to enjoy for years to come, and at a high enough standard to achieve awards <3
So this might come as a surprise to you, but, maternity shoots are one of my absolute favourites. Yes I adore the cute, snuggly newborn ones and the messy chaos of a cake smash but there is something so personal about a maternity shoot that really makes me connect with the images in such a special way.
Perhaps it's that promise of what I know is to come and the excitement that it could be happening any day now. Maybe it's the feeling of gratitude that someone has let me capture them at such a vulnerable but beautiful time. Maybe it is the fond nostalgia of my two pregnancies...Whatever it is I wish that could do more of them.
As women we are conditioned into believing that we are at our most beautiful when we are at our slimmest and fittest and that's just not the case. Bumps are incredible, no matter how big or small they are, stretch marked or not they deserve to be loved and embraced!
Everyone loves to have pictures of their newborns to celebrate becoming a mother but you are a mama long before the arrival of your little bundle makes their presence felt so why not have pictures to show your journey right from the start?
You are growing a life, that's something to be so proud of, it's such a powerful thing to do and in every maternity shoot I do I aim to show that strength and the love that you have for that little gift inside you. Even if you don't feel like you've got the glow that was promised to you, I guarantee that no one looks back and wishes they hadn't had their picture taken, that time captured. You will look beautiful, because guess what? You are!
I want to share your journey with you every step of the way so as it is almost my birthday with every newborn booking I am offering a complementary maternity shoot from now until the end of July (booking fee to be paid, but sessions can be for future dates.).
I'd love to hear from you so if you have any questions please feel free to get in touch.
See what I have been up to recently!